I brewed the Octoberfest on Saturday night. I am using a cooler with frozen water bottles to control my fermentation temperature. I put the keg into the cooler the first night with 8 water bottles. It kept the temp at about 64 degrees. I have had about an inch of krausen on top of the brew since Sunday morning when I checked the brew. It seems to have taken off sometime in the middle of the night Saturday so the lag time was very minimal. I have been changing the bottles out every 12 hours or so. It has been keeping a pretty steady temp from 61-64 degrees. I have had to drop a few of the bottles as the fermentation dies down.
The frozen bottles after the 12 hrs have been still pretty frozen the last day or so. So I changed them out last night about 10pm and by midnight it was down to 59 degrees in the cooler so I took out three of the bottles and left only three in the cooler. This morning it was 64 degrees.
I plan on leaving this to ferment at least two weeks. Then I will bottle and let it sit at about 70 to carb and condition for 5 weeks, maybe spending the last week in the fridge. I will be drinking these by the very beginning of October.
No comments:
Post a Comment