Sunday, January 25, 2015

Homebrewing again.


It's been a while since I have brewed and even longer since I've posted, my last brew was in June of last year. It was a hopped extract that I added cherries to in secondary. It wasn't horrible, but didn't get much conditioning time before I took it to a party. It was consumed, but everyone agreed it could have been a better beer. 

A few years ago I started brewing beer at home. I was unstoppable the first few years brewing almost weekly. A couple years ago I started losing weight and trying to get healthy, so the first thing to go was alcohol. I also got busy with work and taking care of my three kids. Needless to say I haven't brewed much lately, but I would really like to change that. 

I have gained a few pounds back, my kids are getting busy with extra curricular activities, and work is still just as busy. However, I want to get back into brewing at home.  I was inspired last night by a trip to Meijer where I found a Brooklyn Brew House kit half price. The kit is all grain and only brews a gallon of beer. That amount of beer is hardly worth the work but will still be fun.

 One of the reasons I haven't been brewing is because I hate bottling the five gallon batches. Hopefully the one gallon batches won't be as daunting a task and I can actually look toward to it.  I could start kegging but it's too expensive. So for now I will do these smaller batches and slowly work my way back into it. 


1 comment:

  1. Wow ... a one gallon batch isn't much more than a yeast starter ... not sure I'd want to go through an all-grain brew day for such a small amount.

    I recently did a Mr. Beer-sized batch for the first time in quite awhile. I think that is actually the perfect size if I am bottling. That first 20 to 25 bottles (less if you do some in bombers ... which I do) isn't bad. Anything more than that starts to drag.

    Good luck. The awesome thing about really small batches is that you can experiment without worrying that you'll be ruining much beer.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete