Thursday, December 29, 2011

Why my wife should love Star San.

I normally use Oxyclean Free to soak commercial beer bottles in to clean and remove labels after I drink them. The Oxyclean Free does a great job, but if you use too much it can leave residue. The only way to remove that residue, at least that I can find, is to soak the bottles in Star San. So I just cut a step out. I read somewhere that you can soak bottles in Star San to remove the labels. So I tried it with some New Belgium Ranger IPA bottles. The Star San worked amazingly well, labels were coming off cleanly after about a 5 minute soak. Then just a little scrub with a dish brush to remove the glue from the bottle. It could not have been easier.

After that I tried something I read on a blog or forum. Not sure which, so I can't give proper credit. I soaked the black plastic spatulas and such in the Star San. The spatulas had gotten a white residue on them from being used and washed in the dishwasher. A quick soak in Star San took that right off. I also soaked all the regular drinking glasses in Star San. They have the same problem as the spatulas. They get cloudy and have spots on them. Again another quick soak in Star San and the glasses were as good as new.

I was going to take a before and after photo but neglected to do so. In a few weeks when these things get all nasty again I will do so.

So if you're getting ready to toss out a batch of Star San, put it to good use before you do.

1 comment: