I am on vacation this week. The kids are off of school this week. However the wife has to work. So it's just me and the kids. I have been cleaning, baking, and cooking. I made some banana bread and some ham and bean soup. Both of which turned out really good. Lots of laundry has been done as well, however I have not folded it and put it away. Which in my estimation is what they make you do in Hell.
We got a couple of inches of snow yesterday, so the kids and I went outside. We made snowman and had a snowball right. A good time was had by all.
I bought myself a 12 pack of New Belgium Ranger IPA, a bottle of Sam Smith's Winter Welcome, and a bottle of Sam Smith's Nut Brown Ale. I was gifted a bottle of Lump of Coal Stout from my parents. All of which have been consumed and there wasn't a bad beer in the bunch.
On the brewing front I have the Chocolate Milk Stout that I am starting to drink and it turned out well. It's a little roasty which I think prevents the chocolate from being detected as much as I want it to be. I also have Nanci's Brown Ale in the new glass carboy. I dry hopped this on Monday and am trying to patiently wait to bottle it. The gravity was about where I wanted it to be and I have another recipe sitting in the pantry waiting to be brewed. I guess I could brew it and put it into a plastic fermenter but I want to use the glass since I paid for it.
I also need a Brew Hauler. I had moments while I was using the carboy for the first time that I thought I could drop it. Like when I filled it with sanitizer and then had to dump it. I felt it slipping out of my hands as I was carrying it to the sink. I just think having the handles would make breaking it a little less likely, and also make transporting it from the kitchen to the fermenting closet and back much easier.

Ok thanks for enabling comments ... yes, I do read your blog. Now, I can let you know I read it.
ReplyDeleteThis is too late for you ... but I went with the Better Bottle (plastic) Carboy when I upgraded to a bigger fermenter size. Works great and it is much less heavy and less likely to break if dropped ... not to mention safer if it does break.
Anyway ... good to see you are having fun on your break.
I read a lot about Better Bottles and was really close to buying one. Then I read a bunch of reviews about them splitting on the bottom and leaking. I figured that would never happen with glass, so I went with it.
ReplyDelete