I just took a sample for my Milk Stout to get a hydro reading and taste test. I had to use my thief which I hate and now I remember why. First I have to sanitize it and then put the hydrometer in it. Then I can't get the sanitizer to flow out of the bottom because the hydrometer is blocking the hole. Then I have to try to open the lid on the fermenting bucket with one hand while I hold the sanitized thief in the other hand and try to keep it from touching anything. Then I have to get the sample into the thief without getting too much gunk, while making sure I still get enough beer for the hydrometer to float in. Much easier if you have a fermenting bucket with a spigot.
Anyways took the reading and after two weeks its at 1.034. I don't know how many gravity points lactose adds but that still seems kind of high to me. I still plan on leaving it in the fermenter for another week at least. Most likely won't be bottling next weekend because of family things, so it looks like Wednesday the 30th will be bottling day.
I let the sample sit in the freezer for about ten minutes then tasted it. It smelled a little "hot" from the alcohol when I was taking the sample and it tastes of that as well. That's basically all I get. Maybe some chocolate undertones but it could be me just wanting to taste that. I don't think there is anything wrong with this beer, it should mellow over time. I just need to get some more beer going so I can stay out of this one.

No comments:
Post a Comment