Sunday, July 17, 2011

15 minute APA

I have been inspired by time, money and Basic Brewing Video to make a 15 minute American Pale Ale. I was on my way to the brewing store today when I remembered I had a 1/2 oz of Amarillo leaf hops in the freezer at home. So I decided to make a beer using 3 lbs of DME, Nottingham Yeast, and the Amarillo hops. This was the base for my recipe. I just needed a bittering hop and some steeping grains. With a little help from the guy at my LHBS I chose Apollo hops. Its a newer hop and someone described it as if Columbus, Cascade, and Amarillo got together and had a baby. It's high AA makes it a perfect bittering hop and its fresh citrus aromas make it a great flavor and aroma hop as well. But today I'm just using it for bittering. As for the grains I decided to use carpils and crystal 60, always good for APA's.

My plan is to steep .5 lb of carapils and .5 lb of crystal 60. Then I will add the light DME and get past the break. Then I will add the .5 oz of Apollo hops and start the timer for 15 minutes. With about 5 minutes left I will add .25 oz of Amarillo and then dry hop with .25 oz of Amarillo for about 3 days before bottling. Chill, add to the fermenter, seal it up and wait.

Along with the ingredients for this beer, my primary purchase was a Belgian Pale Ale kit. Inspired by Esheppys BPA he says is one of his favorite brews, I bought the kit that the LHBS has assembled for this style. I'm not a huge fan of Belgian's but I'll give it a go. That will be brewed later this week and I will post the recipe soon. Soon the pipeline will be in full swing again.

I also purchased Beersmith 2. This is first recipe I have created using it, so far its pretty nice. But I'm not blown out of the water yet.




Kitchen Sink IPA
American Pale Ale
Type: Extract Date: 7/17/2011
Batch Size (fermenter): 2.50 gal Brewer: Scott
Boil Size: 3.00 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 15 min Equipment: Brew Pot (4 Gallon)
End of Boil Volume 2.93 gal Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Final Bottling Volume: 2.50 gal Est Mash Efficiency 0.0 %
Fermentation: Ale, Single Stage Taste Rating(out of 50): 30.0
Taste Notes:
Ingredients


Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
3 lbs Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 3 75.0 %
8.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 12.5 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 2 12.5 %
0.50 oz Apollo [18.60 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 4 36.4 IBUs
1.0 pkg Nottingham (Danstar #-) [23.66 ml] Yeast 6 -
0.25 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 5 3.3 IBUs
0.25 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 7 0.0 IBUs

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.054 SG Measured Original Gravity: 1.046 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.013 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.010 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 5.4 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 4.7 %
Bitterness: 39.8 IBUs Calories: 151.6 kcal/12oz
Est Color: 12.4 SRM

No comments:

Post a Comment